chinook logo

History

The Bookie Building

Since it was built in 1954, the Bookie Building, located next to the Kimbrough Music Hall on the north end of campus, was a social hub where generations of Cougs met their friends, found a snack and of course, purchased their textbooks and supplies.

Over the decades, the building saw two remodels, one in 1964 and another in 1980 to expand the building’s square footage. In 2008, the Student Book Corporation moved its operations to the newly renovated Compton Union Building. Since that time, the Bookie Building lay dormant.  

Transformation into the Chinook Student Center

In 2014, an independent agency conducted a feasibility study to determine the possibility of renovating the Bookie Building to serve as student social and recreational space in center of WSU’s campus.

The Chinook Planning Committee, made up of student leaders and administrators, was formed to develop a comprehensive list of building features. The committee analyzed data and student survey feedback collected by both WSU departments and off-campus consultants regarding long-term recreation space needs and what amenities students wanted to see on campus.

On March 11, 2015, WSU Pullman undergraduate students voted to increase student fees to generate the $3.3 million per year to cover the projected renovation costs, currently set at $32 million. This referendum passed with 3,399 votes or by 74.1 percent.

In September 2015, the Board of Regents approved Absher Construction Company and GGLO Design for the design-build renovation of the building. The design for the Chinook includes study and social spaces, fitness facilities, napping pods, and a Freshens Fresh Food Studio.